Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Altered Gift Canister




When I went hunting in my crafty closet I found a plain brown cardboard canister another crafter had RAK'd me with (thank you Brenda B).  I decided if I altered it with Bev's luscious laces and embellishments from The Piece By Piece I'd have just the gift I needed (of course I'll need to fill the inside with yummy crafty goodness as well).

I started with a combination of Matte Medium, White Gesso, Lindy's Coca Bean Magicals and some Pearl Ex in Micro Pearl.  With this mixture I painted the entire surface of the canister including the inside and the lid.  Once dry I misted the surface with Lindy's Alpine Ice Rose Starburst Spray.  The next step was to fussy cut the birds from a sheet of Ruby Rock-it paper called Mother Nature, Flock. Don't you just love those birds on the feeder?  I also cut one extra lone bird, popped him up on black chipboard and attached him to the back.


The flowers are a combination of Daisies Vintage Lace in Mauve, I snipped the flowers apart glued them to the canister with Beacon's Fabri-Tac and added a Flatback Pearl with Rhinestones in the middle, I used the Grey, perfect color to compliment everything else. Around the bottom are two rows of Tutu Tulle in Grey, one points upwards and one down to give a real full fluffy effect.


On the inside I used the Floral Venise Lace in White and misted it with a combination of grey sprays to get the soft grey that matched the rest.  Paper was cut for the inside/outside of the canister and the lid.  I used just a touch of Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Worn Lipstick and Black Soot around all the edges.


The lid edge and outer portion of the top were covered in the French Cotton Crochet Lace in the Grey/White combo, I used Beacon's Fabri-Tac to hold it down.  Next I moved to the center and cut 2 of the mauve flowers in half and placed three of the halves in a circle adding my Jolee's silver bird house and finally a circle of the grey tutu tulle lace around the charm.  


There was one half of the Mauve flowers left so I cut it in half placed it atop some of the gathered crocheted lace and added some flower stamens for antenna and I had a butterfly once I added a stone for the body.

So I hope you liked my altered gift canister.  Please check out Bev's fabulous trim, laces and embellishments and other crafty gems, in her Etsy Store - The Piece By Piece.  You can also find her on Facebook.


Supplies -

1 comment:

Marie-Louise said...

Gosh Patti this is another marvellous project. You have a great imagination.