Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Sherlock's Travel Journal

a Meg's Garden Design Team Project

I have found I really love doing stitched binding for my journals.  This time I'm using the Daisy Loop Chain which I found on YouTube from Pocket Full of Vintage.  This creates a really strong binding method.  I also used Tyvek between the two layers of decorative paper for the journal cover.  Adding a layer or two of Collage Podge from Aleene's really strengthens the cover which is what you need if you're going to be stitching.


The letters were cut from a sheet of paper I had in my stash, covered with Glossy Accents and then sprayed with Lindy's which really gave them that old world look. I cut strips from cardstock, inked them with Distress inks, strengthened them with Collage Podge and then bound the outer edges, I really like the look.


Adding corner edges also adds support to the cover and the distressed paper edges continue along with the old look.  This Collection kit can either be purchased in paper or downloaded in Digital, both options are available in the store.


The closure is a white piece of crocheted lace which I used Aged Mahogany and Gathered Twigs inks to match the papers and the binding strips. The lace is glued to the back of the book with Beacon's Fabri-Tac and loops around this funky closure (from Meg's store) on the front.  Depending on which loop you use will depend on how wide the book can become. 


Each two page spread of pages allows for lots of photo spots and journaling to save and share all those memories.  See how I incorporated just a torn piece of cardboard packing material to form the pocket on the right?

I hope you'll come join me on the video where I'll walk you through each page, share my assembly techniques and offer many more photos to inspire you to create your own Sherlock Travel Journal.  


Please visit Meg's Garden at
Shop - http://megsgarden.com/  
Blog -  http://megsgardenblog.blogspot.com/








1 comment:

Paula said...

Very pretty book Patti; I like the closure and the corner elements. Now I will probably try to make one of these!