Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Paper Piecing Ai Stamps

a Country Crafts Creations Design Team Project

If you have yet introduced yourself to Ai (Art Impressions) stamps there is just no time like the present to do so.  Tamra Merrill, from Country Craft Creations sent me two of the Vintage stamp sets to play with.  I'd mentioned I like to paper piece and decided I'd like to share that technique with you. It's a little time consuming because you are stamping and fussy cutting several times for each stamp but the end result, well it's kind of addicting, like you'd like to do another, just wait you'll see.


I'm just going to do a short run through of what I've used and how I used it here on the blog.  You'll really want to watch the video (link below) to get the full benefit.  On video we'll paper piece one stamp together and I'll share all the techniques I've come up with through trial and error.  As we all know it's nice to not have to make the mistakes that others have made and just reap the rewards of the easiest way to do something, well in this case the easiest way for me.  I'll post a link to the supplies I used plus store links directly below the video link at the bottom of this post.



The first step is to stamp your image on white cardstock (I'm using 110# white from Georgia Pacific). This stamped image will become your building base to glue your fussy cut pieces too. I like to have a good set of small scissors, I use Cutter Bees and a set of reverse tweezers.  The tweezers are like a third hand when you're trying to glue the small pieces into their respective spots.  I also use a cut piece of an old Cricut mat to stick my pieces onto while I'm assembling my images.  This mat didn't have a lot of sticky left on it but it's enough to keep the tiny bits from flying elsewhere while you are working.


The first step is to figure out what areas won't be recut, in this case it was her legs, shoes, hair, face, the one arm.  I then color these first and start layering.  You can see above the first layer, her dress has already been glued down.


Here's a look at the finished paper pieced stamp.  The key is to look at your image and decide how many layers you're going to have. Starting with the layer that would be the furthermost away from you begin gluing.  In this stamp there are 4 primary layers, her dress, the apron, the bowl and the arm holding the bowl.  When I was done I fussy cut the whole image, glued it to a solid green and fussy cut again.  I am thinking these will be used in a mini I'm making.


Here's the second stamp I paper pieced.  There are three ladies here so I pretend each is a stand alone and fussy cut and paper piece each image separately and then re-glue them in the order they would be standing so some parts of them over lap the others.  It will make a lot more sense as you watch the video.  This is an extremely fun process and one that will give your cards, minis, or whatever project you used the pieced images in a great added dimension.  I hope you'll give it a try.




Supplies from Country Craft Creations

Supplies from my stash - Georgia Pacific 110# white cardstock; 3D Crystal Lacquer; various alcohol markers; old piece of Cricut mat; Twizzer Bees, Cutter Bee scissors

Please visit Country Craft Creations here -
Country Craft Creations shoppe - http://countrycraftcreations.com/
you can also join the Facebook group
Scrapbookers of Country Craft Creations here - http://tinyurl.com/zhess6s

Visit me at A Soul's Heartbeat on

1 comment:

JD/ Jill said...

These are so adorable! I like to paper piece too. You did a great job with these. I'm going to a stamp show this weekend...must look for these stamps.